Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter in the Bible, and also brings us right into the middle of the Bible, being the 595th chapter. It reads:
“Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love towards us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord.” (Psa. 117:1-2)
It’s such a short chapter… only 3 brief sentences, but it packs so much TRUTH about our God in it! Reading through this chapter, it reminded me of the following about the Lord:
1) “Praise the Lord” – He is worthy of our praise! (Psa. 145:3)
2) “all you nations” – He is the Lord of heaven and earth, the Lord over all creation and every nation! (Psa. 86:9)
3) “extol him, all you peoples” – God is not only worthy of our praise, but the very essence of who He is commands our worship (Exo. 34:14)
4) “for great is his love towards us” – God is love (1 Jn. 4:8)
5) “and the faithfulness of the Lord” – God is faithful (1 Cor. 1:9)
6) “endures forever” – God is eternal, everlasting, and remains the same forever (Heb. 13:8)
7) “Praise the Lord” – repetition signifies importance. Put God first in your life, and continuously praise the Lord! (Mat. 22:37)
It’s amazing how God’s character is reflected in even the shortest passages of the Bible. The pages of this sacred text, our life’s written guide, are full of wisdom and the testimony of His goodness. That’s why it’s so important that we dive into His Word every day to seek truth, insight, revelation, and understanding of who He is, and that we may know His plans and purpose for our lives.
As children of God, let’s make a commitment to praising the Lord, extolling him, declaring his sovereign and complete rule, recognizing his love and faithfulness, and trusting that He is infinite and omnipotent. The more we know Him and follow Him, the more He will use us to bring Him glory and magnify Christ! Amen!
[From November 14, 2018]